Sunday, January 7, 2018

2018 Harbison Trail 50k Race Report

8th Harbison 50k Race Report   Saturday January 7, 20018
The 8th running of the Harbison 50k was the coldest one yet, with start temps in the mid-to-upper teens. The snow that hit the SC coast stayed away, and the course was in good shape. I came into this event with decent training, at least until 3 weeks before when the frigid temps hit Minnesota (below zero without the wind!). The two weeks before the race I ran a total of twice (under 10mi total). My legs were certainly fresh for the race! The other issue I have been having has to do with shoes…my Hoka Challenger ATRs that I had tried out in August worked well, but was getting up there in mileage (~550). Running 15+ miles in snow with yak trax and then testing out a newer model left me with a sore big left toe. Seems the newer Hokas put a little too much pressure there. I ended up trying out some shoes I had bought last year, mistakenly buying a different model than my usual. So I tried out some Asics 1000 GTX. Even with only 4 runs in them before I traveled south, I decided that was the best option I had. Another weird pain showed up once I got to SC. I am guessing it was from walking to work in my work shoes a couple of days, but the soles of my feet were sore for the 3 days leading up to the race. I was honestly getting nervous. (Soreness ended up disappearing that Friday)
Day before the race was busy as I worked, went to Augusta, GA to visit family, then went to Columbia for packet pickup and stay the night at the race hotel. All was good for the race as I got a ride from a friend from Greenville (Michael) that I hadn’t seen in a few of years – always good to catch up with him. Met our friend Terry and eventually made it to the starting line (after almost forgetting my water bottles in my drop bag).



So Michael and I started off together at an easy pace down the gravel road and into the woods. We stayed together until the 1st aid station. I didn’t realize people’s water lines were freezing until Michael mentioned it a few miles in. It slipped my mind to tell people to have it underneath one layer of clothing. That is one thing I learned quickly after moving to MN almost 3 years ago.
2 hrs before start at the hotel.
So we hit AS1 in 58min, where I grabbed a few chips and a cookie and walked out while I ate. I’d see Michael on some switchbacks for the rest of the loop, so I knew he was always only a couple of minutes behind. I really expected to see him later on. There were still a few people nearby at this point.
The 2nd AS had been moved further from where it had been the last 2 years (due to a locked gate). I had planned to run with just one hand-held bottle, but with this change (and having already traveled south without my UD vest), I borrowed a 2nd handheld from another friend. That made me feel much more comfortable (I drink a good bit when I run).

I ran solo for much of this, only one or two times spending any significant time near people. Passed Terry thru here as she ran the 25k.
It was about an hour to where the previous AS had been, then the ~15 min loop, and another 10 min to where AS2 now was. Still feeling fine. (2:23 overall) A wonderful volunteer filled up a bottle with Gatorade as I grabbed my usual PB&J square, chips, and Oreo and kept moving. I moved ok thru here for a while. My legs were a getting a little tired (and some minor groin soreness), so I walked some of the gentle hills as I eventually caught up to another 25k runner. We had a similar pace for a while, then she unfortunately took a spill while in sight of the finish area. She was fine. Found out later that she wasn’t the only one – Terry had also fallen near there and scraped her face. So I got to the halfway in 2:57. Was slower than last year by 5 minutes. Didn’t need anything in my drop bag, so grabbed some food, had some (too hot) soup, and got back on the trail (just missing Terry and Michael, who were within 3 minutes of me).
2nd loop started with a walk as I ate, then an alternating walk/run. I was still moving decently, passed a few runners and got passed by a few early on. In my mind, I was a bit slower thru here since I ran practically all of the first section the first time thru. I ended up 17 minutes slower as my right knee started to feel it. It always seems to appear during this race – it has to be because of the winding trail and I have no trails that mimic that – my legs are on the weak side. You’d think I’d learned my lesson after so many races here. Anyway – about 20 miles in after 4:12. (Note – creek prior to the AS was completely dry this year, whereas last year I had to jump and it was still ankle deep).
This section after AS1/4 usually feels endless, but I was prepared this time and moved better on the downhills/flats. Saw fewer and fewer runners. Ran this entire section 14 minutes slower than lap 1 – which was a huge relief as last year there was a 23min slowdown!
I don’t think anyone passed me on the last section. It seemed shorter than the first time thru, which is always a pleasant surprise! I was checking the time and was hopeful to break 6:30. I only knew my 33min section for lap 1 was going to be closer to 40, but I am clueless as to knowing where I am in relation to the finish until I see it.

Ended up just under 6:31 on my watch (6:31:03 by the clock). Someone did come up behind me on the last trail section and told me to bring it in…he tried a sprint past me at the end, and probably technically beat me by a half second, but they gave it to me…didn’t make any difference.
I was very happy to see my wife and daughter at the finish. They support my running and allow me to do my long runs on Sunday morning guilt-free.

So finish #8 here! Race 131 overall. 22nd ultra and 34th race of a marathon or longer. 50 (marathon or longer) before age 50 is still possible, but will need to do more than the 2 I ran in 2017.  I have plans anyway…

No comments: