Saturday, July 7, 2018

2018 Afton 50k Trail Race (25th Annual!)

25th Afton 50k
Went in to this event feeling ok about my training, if not a little lacking some longer runs. I was worried about a knee issue that had popped up, but I wasn’t sure if it was due to running or not. Turned out – didn’t crop up at all. Must be another case of phantom issues during taper.
Race morning was sunny, not as cool as I’d hoped, and bug-free (for me at least; everyone seemed to be applying enough bug spray to ward them off, so maybe they were around?). Start temp was ~65°, but got up to about 78°, with 80% humidity.


Race started right at 7:30 and we started on a downhill, a flat, then the first uphill that most people walk. Me included! 



I’ve run this course so much, I knew what to expect. I went out comfortably, maybe pushing just a bit. I knew my training times for one loop, as well as my 2015 race splits (training times were a good minute per mile slower this year compared to 2015), and was hoping for about a 6hr finish. First miles are never good, but I didn’t feel ‘weak’ at least. 2nd hour is usually when I start feeling decent, and that’s about when I settled in, although I did tweak my ankle ~1hr into the race.


Skipped the first 2 aid stations as I wore my UD vest (and water/Gatorade mixture), but did stop at the 3rd AS by the river. So much was going on, that I didn't really see what all they had there. After less than a minute - I was back out on course after 1:02 (and 6.4mi)

I ran the rest of the first loop pretty well...staying just under 10min miles. Ran well thru the campground and down by the river and up the meat grinder. Slowed some that last section after AS5. Made it halfway in 2:47 (still consistently 1min/mi slower than my 2015 race, where I ran the first half in 2:32) and took a few minutes to get my stuff together for loop 2.
The 2nd half started with my inner/lower thighs trying to cramp up. It was on and off for awhile, but I trudged on.
2nd loop is always slower, and I alternated walking and running as the terrain dictated.
Made it to the 3rd AS on the 2nd loop in 1:22 (4:10 total).

(I'm writing this part WAY after the actual race, so have very few details other than my splits...)



I did share a few miles with another guy. He was certainly stronger than me and soon pulled away.


After fighting cramps towards the end, I did finish in 6:15:53!



On the following day, my hips, thighs, and shins were all slightly sore, but was able to do my typical day-after walk. 2 days later I was fine except for the upper part of my left ankle being sore (and there was some bruising there after the race).
2 weeks later I was back to running 14 miles and feeling fine - back to training for the Twin Cities Marathon in early October

No comments: