Saturday, January 8, 2022

2022 Harbison 50k Race Report (Virtual, self-supported)

The 12th running of the Harbison 50k was to take place on January 8, 2022 down in Harbison State Forest in Columbia, SC. With COVID-19 (omicron) still rampant and travel not high on my list, utter lack of training (slightly due to stretches of below zero temps here in St. Paul, MN), and some anxiousness surrounding my ankle tendinitis, I had No plans to run this race - in-person or virtually. I had marked it off my list, resigned myself that my 10 finishes was good enough. 

But then, the night before the race - my friends posted about the race. The Race Director posted about the race. I commented. RD said just run 50k here this weekend and it'd count. Hmmmm.....so, at 8:09pm, I registered and got my things together to run on Saturday. I had never done that before, so why not see what happens, expecting to walk most of it. Found a Gatorade in the fridge. Gathered my running clothes, and planned my nutrition. Temps were to be from 19°-27° with some wind [this after a temp of -17° Friday morning], so not bad at all. 

 I slept in on race day as I had a meeting scheduled that morning from 9-11am. Left it just before 10am and got ready with 2 layers everywhere Started out for my 9 loops of Lake Phalen (and 2 pit stops back at the house) at 10:08am. I broke it down in my head as three sets of three-loops. That worked out very well for me. 

Paths were more slushy than I expected, as they are usually cleared of snow. We'd had 3-4" the last few days, and with the temps brutal, I was a little worried about ice under everything. Turned out there was no ice to speak of, 2 short sections that felt like running in soft sand, and much of the rest had a thin layer of slush. Some places were down to pavement, and it improved somewhat over the course of the day as it warmed up (although the sun never appeared through the clouds). 

 This is the same loop I have run since I moved here in 2015. Pretty flat, 3.1 mile paved path around a lake that used to provide drinking water for St. Paul. During the winter, the bike path (partially separated from the walking path) is typically plowed. Direction is meant to be clock-wise. The lake is laid out north-to-south, with residential along the whole east-side (but no houses are waterfront anywhere on the lake, all separated by a road). West-side is adjacent to a golf course (doubles as cross country skiing course in the winter, or rather, when there is snow. Golf is played no matter the temps if it is clear). Another note - other walking/bike paths connect to this that go on for dozens of miles, but I generally stay on the lake loop. 

Set 1 (loops 1-3): Took a very comfortable pace out as I had not run in over a week, and since 12/8 (after ~3wks of ~30miles each), had run a total of 18.6mi. I was hoping for the first loop to be runnable, and it mostly was. I walked a bit more each loop, just a little bit, but was happy to still be moving well after the first ~10.3miles. Loops were 30:53, 31:44, and 33:14. Back home in 1:46. Took almost a 10min break as I ate some pb&j/chips and refilled my water bottle, and added a 2nd bottle with some Gatorade/water. I had meant to go out on loop 1 with 2 bottles, but realized I forgot one as I got a block away from my house. It turned out fine.

Set 2 (loops 4-6): Walked more and more each loop. My left front ankle/shin became sore mid-way through, and my right IT Band started up when I ran toward the end of the set. Loops were 39:09, 41:05, and 43:34. (I can generally walk a lap in good health/weather in ~43min). Last loop was obviously mostly walking. Plenty of ice huts out on the lake - about 12. I also saw one person with a 12-15" fish he'd just caught! Back to the house in 4:13 (2:16 for set 2). Took 13 min break at home for more of the same: pb&j, chips, and refills. 

Set 3 (loops 7-9): Walked the whole set of three laps. The 2nd toenail on my right foot was getting sore.  The top two joints don't bend much after dislocating/breaking it playing softball back in 2002.  I knew I'd finish, and it did get tough the last loop, but I was trying hard to beat 7hrs. I knew it'd be very close, so I pushed more and more. I even used my iphone music this last set, but my one playlist on there was pretty bad for exercise (I never listen to music when I run, but I have been putting playlists on my phone to listen to during work, and have been adding my albums alphabetically in ~400 song sets. I'm in the E's and F's). Coming around the south part of the lake, with a half mile left of the lake loop and a half mile home, I knew I had time for a pit stop as I ducked into a port-o-john. At least, I hope I had timed it right after ~7 years making ~1500 loops around the lake! Loops were 43:13, 47:06, and 48:12.
Turns out - I did time it right. I got home after 6:59:15 for my 11th Harbison finish (2:35 for set 3).

Whew. Kept telling myself on each set that I had 1 or 2 more loops, then it was back home. Never looked farther than that - just loop to loop to get back home. Now that I know I can do this without planning, I hope not to have to do it like this again. 
Ankles and knees were bad that evening. Will definitely lose that toenail. Felt a good bit better the next day actually, with some back soreness added in. Could start to feel my thighs/quads a little after 2 days, but by Wednesday - I was back to rowing (too cold/icy to run outside again after another 2-3").
 




No comments: