Sunday - I will hopefully complete my 40 mile run, about 6 weeks before my 40th birthday. That is really just one of many reasons to run it - not that the others make much sense to that many people.
My concerns for the event:
1. Right calf. Been tight lately during 2 hr runs. Could flare up and stay.
2. Left front/top ankle. Not sure what's going on with that. It is usually sore a day or two after marathons...lately, I've felt it after longer runs. And even when I don't run.
3. Right big toe/arch area. Was sore a couple of weeks ago, but get a twinge now and then.
4. Heat. Trying not to think about it and do the whole mind over matter thing. Didn't think about it once during Chattooga and it was brutally hot. Not that bad considering this weekend .Forecast is low that morning around 56°, high of 84°. I'm hoping much of the trail is in the sahde. Maybe a nice (tail) wind (both directions).
5. 2 days later - I'll be walking a golf course in Charlotte to watch my old HS classmate (PGA Championship winner Rich Beem) practice for the PGA event in Charlotte. Hope I won't be wobbling too much!
Goals - still between 8 and 9 hours. Probably closer to 9 hours. I bought a camera (real digital one instead of the typical disposable I've been getting), so that should be nice to hep document the adventure.
Looking forward to seeing other friends (and new ones) out there.
Finally - having my wife and little girl see me finish an ultra for the first time!!!