Saturday, November 7, 2020

2020 Icebox 480 Race Report








Nov 7th 2020 was the 8th running of the Icebox 480. This is an 8 hour event (480 minutes) run on a loop in River Falls, WI. As the pandemic is still raging, it was managed a little differently this year, but it all seemed to go off without a hitch!
distanced aid station spots

My original plan was to run 4 loops, as this is typically a 7mi loop. I wanted my marathon+ distance, for my 45th race of that length, and 4th in the previous 4 months. I was feeling pretty comfortable about that, at least the first 3 loops! The week of the race (or so), a course adjustment was made due to construction/erosion, and the new length was 6.31mi/loop. This meant I now had to do 5 loops. Not that many more miles, but mentally, it had me discouraged. I knew I'd be fine though and get my 4th finish of this race. 

Almost ready to start

One major change (pandemic) was the course was open to start running from 6am-8am. You'd have your own pit area and a marker to keep track of your own loops/times. I chose to start at 7:30am (right around sunrise, so I could avoid use of a headlamp). Temp was 57 degrees and it was to be cloudy day, warming to 65 by the end of my run. 

Not a bad day to run!

Arrived around 7am and set up my aid in my pit spot (spread out and numbered in the field adjacent to the trail entrance). A few were already running as their headlamps could be seen in the trees. I set out my water, Gatorade, roller, and had my snacks and extra shoes handy. Decided to run with a handheld the first loop, before swapping it for my vest/bladder. Walked up to the start at 7:29, and started at 7:30 with one person right ahead of me. We'd swap places a few times these first 2-3 laps. 

Legs were a little tired, but felt better toward the end. Course markings were perfect. The one spot I missed on the first loop last year seemed even more silly, as I realized I took a sharp left turn (almost 180 degrees) instead of continuing straight. I did miss one little path, that dipped around a retention pond (?) instead of going straight alongside it. It may have cut off a whole 20 seconds. Oops. ;-)

The course skipped the middle aid station section, and also was re-routed to bypass the curving bike-ramp. We ended up running just below it. Instead of the typical 1:10 first loop, my time was 1:05. 

Swapped my handheld for my vest, and got back out onto the course in about a minute. Felt pretty good for loop 2. Saw a few people, but like the whole day, pretty much ran solo. No issues for this loop, finishing it in 1:09 (2:14 total) and did Not stop at my aid station. Circled my loop #, wrote my time in the spot provided, and went right back onto the trail. 

Loop 3 was definitely slower going. Hips were getting tight. My ankles had some soreness. Toes were tender at the end of the loop. I had been having ankle issues for a while, but doesn't really show up until I get around 15miles in to a run. Came in the aid station after 1:19 (3:34 total). Took ~5 minutes to add Gatorade to my bladder, eat some chips and PB&J, and a sip of coke. 

The hill at mile 1 of the loop

Loops 4 and 5 were mostly walking. Legs just didn't have anything. Loop 4 in 1:36 (5:10), with a few minutes for food/water. Re-laced my shoes at some point, realizing a little late that that was likely the main reason my ankles were sore. (I never thought to re-adjust them once I stopped wearing my orthotics after last year. Doh!). 

Loop 5 was All walking, and right knee soreness kept me from running even the downhills. It was a nice day to be outside though, so there is always that to reflect on. Nothing to do but keep moving forward.

Nice fall day!
Finished that loop in 1:36, for a total time of 6:52. Should have been about 31.55 miles. My phone app (granted not the best for this sort of thing, but all I have) showed 27.1mi. Either way - I got my miles in and completed another one. Now up to 136.55 Icebox miles.

Knowing my fitness for this distance was lacking these last 3 hours left me a little dejected. I did better with these races when they were 2-3 weeks apart. This ended up being 6 weeks since my last race, and I knew that was pushing it without some longer miles. (One half-marathon distance wasn't sufficient! - I was right!). With the pandemic and travel not happening, I was just fine with Not running the next race I had scheduled - another Harbison 50k January 9th. 9 weeks meant I should do some 'real' training, but I just wasn't feeling enthusiastic at the moment. Stay tuned!

(Footnote - took a few days off with sore shins - that's a new one for me, and some back soreness, I guess from my bladder as it was a bit higher up on the sides? Then, seemingly back to normal the next weekend).  


No comments: