Saturday, January 9, 2021

2021 Harbison 50k (virtual, supported) 1/9/21

The 11th Harbison 50k was held on 9 Jan 2021 in Columbia, SC at Harbison State Forest. I have run all but one of these events, missing 2019 due to an injury. I was planning on traveling down for this event to get my 10th finish, but due to COVID-19, I decided it would not be wise. The race director (Matt) was gracious enough to allow me to run this one virtually. Honestly - immediately after my Icebox 480 event, I was kind of looking forward to taking a break and skipping this event. Once Matt made the offer though, I committed to doing it (and I am glad I did!).

Weather leading up to the race in South Carolina was looking great temperature-wise (32°-52°), but of course rain the day before would make it a bit muddy. Where I was in St. Paul, MN, I was looking at temps between 12°-16° all day. My route around Lake Phalen was basically cleared of snow/ice (yes, they plow the path around the lake!), and with no wind, it would not be too bad.

My normal route is from my house to the lake (0.5mi) for my 3.1mi loop(s) and back (0.5mi). I decided that three out and back trips, with 3 laps of the lake each time out would get me my 31 miles and break it up nicely. I only had to adjust one section out from my house to add ~0.1mi. 

My training had been fine (no injuries really), but I knew I had ignored my long runs. Looking back now - I had not done one run of 17 miles outside of racing. Whoa-that surprises me. Since July, I had done 4 races of 26.2 or longer, and managed them just fine. Before the last one, Icebox 480, I neglected to ramp up my mileage and it showed. For Harbison, I had a few good runs, but was still feeling lingering effects from an ankle issue on longer runs. With that, I fully expected to need to walk the last 10 miles or so.

So race day comes along, and I had set out my 'Aid Station' just inside my front door. I was to start at the same time as the race in SC, so 6:30am here. I wasn't worried about running for the first hour in the dark, I'd just be a little more careful with patches of ice. I had my plan and expected times, with grilled cheese to be ready on my 2nd trip back home, thanks to my wife! 

House 'Aid Station'

For temps in the low teens, my clothing started out as follows: normal road shoes-Asics 2000-7s, with fitsock socks and neoprene toe sleeves (I wear if it's under 20 as my toes Always get cold otherwise). Wore my calf sleeves under my old (20+ yrs) Nike dryfit tights, and some running pants over those. Long sleeve technical shirt, with a fleece running vest (courtesy of my Seashore Nature Trail 50k finish back in 2011), and my bright orange Saucony jacket. Saucony mittens are a must for cold weather runs. On my head, I started with a balaclava and a buff around my neck. My UD vest was worn Under my vest/jacket to keep the nozzle from freezing (and still almost initially froze as I neglected to tuck the nozzle underneath them both!). I had bib number 31, and as I keep track of Everything, I knew I had run a race (2007 Paris Mountain 6k) with that same bib number, so found it (I keep Everything too) and pinned it on my jacket.

Race morning weather
Starting 'line' is just outside! 

I started on time, and headed down the street and my modified path by a local rec center over to the lake for my first three loops. First loop was good - the expected 'freezing fog' warning never materialized, but it was foggy and it was initially difficult to see from one end of the lake down to the other. Hoar frost was everywhere though, and made for a beautiful run once it got lighter out. I went out at a slightly slower pace than usual, and still was a bit under my expected times. I warmed up fast and removed my mittens after the first mile. I actually never got cold the whole day, turned out to be a nice day out! 1:33 for the first of three sections, 10.4mi. Back at the house, I swapped out my technical shirt for one that was dry, and mittens for gloves that I'd need again, the balaclava for a fleece hat, and a new buff. Added Gatorade to my water in my bladder, ate most of a granola bar (had a Gu an hour into the run) and headed back out after a long 12 minutes. I had expected a 5 minute break, which was still a few minutes longer than I usually take. Wasn't concerned about time today, so took it easy.

1st loop - still dark



after 2.5 hrs

No issues on the next loop and my lap time was still ~28minutes. One more loop and I would be more than halfway. I kept imagining where on the Harbison course I would be, and knowing that as I left the halfway point (start/finish aid station), I'd definitely finish. Had the same expectation here, but with being closer to home, and at home after 20 miles, there was certainly more opportunity to stop. My daughter (11 years old), said the day before the race that I would finish, because I always told her to never quit. 

I did start adding some walk breaks as my hips got tight, and then my left arch started up. That was a new one. Maybe it was the pavement? Who knows? So my laps slowed to 31 and 34 minutes and I headed back home. 1:45 for that 10.3mi section, and 3:30 after 20.7 miles. 

Got home on schedule and my grilled cheese was ready. :-) That made me happy. Took a 16 minute break to sit and eat (chips, chocolate). Wow - that was a long break! Didn't change any clothing and headed back out for my last 'loop'! I did something here that I Never do...The last time was in 2012 when I ran my 12 hour event at the Black Mountain Monster 12hr - I listened to music on my headphones. It worked for me, especially when I found a beat that matched my pace. 

Lap 7 of the lake was a good mix of walking and running/shuffling. My hips were so tight, and I was limping due to my left arch. I was down to walking the last two laps. I had walked laps around the lake before, and knew I could do the 3.1 miles in 41 minutes on a normal day. I expect I could do 45min loops, but those last 2 laps, with favoring one foot, I still did 41 minute loops.

About 2 miles to go, I started watching the time more closely. I was going to be close to the 6 hour mark. If I shuffle the couple of downhills, that may help? Couldn't do much more than that, but with a mile left, I knew I needed to. Shuffle, shuffle, walk, shuffle, shuffle. Finished my 9th lap of the lake. Now the half mile back home and I had 6 minutes 47 secs to break 6 hrs. I knew walking would not do it. Shuffle shuffle.

Once I hit my block, I knew I'd break 6, and came down the somewhat snowy sidewalk to the front of my house to finish in 6:59:23! 

basic phone app data

Harbison #10 done, 5th long event in 6 months, and 46th marathon/ultramarathon finish overall. 

And now ready for a break. (We'll see how long that lasts!)

No comments: