Monday, August 15, 2011

2 more weeks closer...

Hmmm, guess I missed a week or two's update! The hot weather is still sticking around. I thought last year was hot, but this one is the 3rd hottest ever (from I read on the news). I think I may actually be aclimating somewhat, although I still don't like it! :-)
So another long run: 20miles. 78°. Steady pace of 9:15's. Last mile same as 1st.
Following weekend (Aug 6) was a drop down mileage week - so only 13. 8:33 pace and felt good with medium effort.

Nothing too exciting about my weekday runs: some hills, tempo runs, some speedwork (I did 12x400's just under my 1:39/400 plan, last one being 1:28. Huh? Where did That come from?!)

Then this past weekend for my 18 miler. Skipped running on Saturday as I wasn't feeling so good. Little aches (right foot, calf, and just tired). Was feeling a bit run down. Sunday morning came and I felt the beginnings of a cold...little tickle in my throat and maybe a slight fever. What to do? Run it out.
Ended up being a great run. No real pains and plenty of fluid (and 72° overcast skies) helped! 8:50 pace pretty steady the whole way and finished it up with an 8:22 last mile! Plenty left in the tank too.
So that makes 5 out of the last 6 weekends running 17-20 milers for my long run. It is making a big difference. Never had that many that close together. Am feeling very confident in my fall/winter schedule of events, and I may have just added another one: Seashore Nature Trail 50k in Dec. My brother, now that he is in pseudo-marathon shape, wants to add a 50k to his resume.

8 more weeks until Chicago...

Oh - almost forgot the big news: We got Hospitality Passes for the marathon! It's good to have family high up with the race sponsor (Bank of America)! What this means:

-Covered venue in the case of sun, rain or wind
-Accessible location with venue positioned close to Start and Finish Lines
-Private Gear Check
-Private changing areas
-Massage Therapists
-Access to restroom facilities
-Light breakfast (water, Gatorade, bananas)
-Lunch (including beverages and beer)

I'll be spoiled...

2 comments:

Kathrin said...

Don't get used to getting spoiled... Once you rejoined team D.N.R. things are going to get down and dirty (stinky) again! ;-)

Great job on your long runs! That takes some serious mental toughness to stick to the plan in this kind of weather.

imtheguz said...

Duly noted...what's in store for 2012??