Friday, May 21, 2010

99 miles of running to go...

No - I am not doing a 100 miler (yet?!) one mile at a time.
I have an 18 month old. I don't sing in front of Anyone no matter what photos you've seen, that is, except for my daughter. For many months after she was born, I would walk up and down the stairs in order to get her to fall asleep - a great workout for getting back into marathon shape. At the NYC expo 1 month before she was born - I bought her the only piece of clothing we purchased for her in (almost) her first year - a NYC Marathon onesie. She likes to "read" my Runner's World and other similar magazines. She doesn't speak that many words, but signs about 60 different ones. One of my favorites these days is "running" which she associates with me. (Her arms going back and forth in the motion of running).
These days, she still needs help getting to sleep and I often give her mom a break. To soothe her and help her fall asleep - I resorted to something that was long and monotonous - "99 bottles of beer on the wall". After a while of that - I decided to change it up a little to be a better influence...
"99 miles of running to go, 99 miles of running, run one down, run it around, 98 miles of running to go..."
I often get to zero and start over...
I do imagine doing a 100 miler one day although I have doubts that it will ever happen (not willing or able to put the time in for training).
I would not be surprised if I start singing this to myself on a remote stretch of the Chattooga 50k coming up in 2 weeks.
Good night.

No comments: