Saturday, April 4, 2009

Long run/marathon advice wanted...

Need some advice...planning to do a marathon in 6 weeks. Had planned on doing it, but work forced me to cancel plans for a few weeks, now it is back on.
Here is my problem...I have a 10 mile race the weekend (Apr 26) of my 2nd of 2 planned twenty milers and am wondering the best options for me. Run 6-10 more after the race? Run another 10-14 the day after? Anyone have this issue before?
I know people do runs before and after 10k's to hit their 18 milers (someone who is doing their 1st marathon in a few weeks!)...but is that as plausible after a 10 miler? I guess it would be. May actually be better training then just my long slow 20 miler....
Anyone???
Of course 16 tomorrow and 20 next weekend will really tell me how prepared I am!

2 comments:

Robert said...

Can you run the 10 miler with the idea that you are not trying to PR? My biggest concern would be that I would be running 10 at race pace and then trying to go 10 more miles after that. Can you run 10 before the race?

Guz said...

I'm torn right now between running 12-15 the next day, and running an easy 8 or so afterwards (immediately or later in the day)