Sunday, April 18, 2010

Overuse and Photo Gripes

So my run yesterday didn't quite go as planned. I had read recently in one of my many years-worth of old Runner's World that it is ok to adjust your training plan and not force yourself to run if you are not feeling it that day. Can't do that all the time obviously, but Saturday was one of those days for me.
In order to get back home and spend more time with my family, before my planned run at Paris Mtn State Park (opens at 8am), I decided I'd run a few miles before that at my usual weekday spot (Oak Grove Lake). Also decided I'd wear my Camelbak with 3L of water in it as that is likely what I'll wear during the Chattooga 50k. The 3 miles were fine, not great, but it's taking me 6 miles or so to start feeling good on runs anyway. Drove on over to Paris Mtn where it turned out a Triathlon was going on (were just starting the swim as I drove to the upper parking lot, saw the runners come up the Mtn as I left...that is a TOUGH climb!).
So - ran my usual lake loop - Brissy Ridge to Kanuga to the North Lake Loop. Didn't fall so that is a plus, and felt like I had a little energy a bit after taking my Gu, but wasn't really into it that day. Was a little warm - nothing like early June. My left upper calf had some soreness as it had earlier in the week. Before I even finished my lake loop to Pipsissewa (it's only 60% of the full lake loop), I had an inkling to cut my run short to one loop. Not a big deal to run 35 miles this week instead of 42, but I wanted 35. To get that, I ran a Full lake loop on top of my usual. It's a bit different than the rest on that 4 minute section - narrower trail for one thing. A little more up and down, Rhododendrons galore (not just the name of the campsite there). The extra 1.6 miles were a nice addition. I eventually took my turn on Pipsissewa (will have to find out the history behind that name someday) and headed back to Brissy Ridge. As I approached the Kanuga turn off, I contemplated turning there and heading back to the lake. I quickly pushed that thought aside and decided I was going to stop back at the upper lot. Including the Oak Grove jaunt, I ended up with ~10.2 miles and got my 35 for the week.
I really do need some more 40+ weeks. Planning on 24 (or at least 4 hours) next Saturday one way or another. June 6th will be here before I know it.
So now my gripe...
Photos. I like them. I like taking them and looking at them. Many events these days have photographers on site (at numerous locations even) taking pictures. It's very nice to have some action shots of yourself taken during events. The longer or more adventurous events make the photos even better, or at least more desirable.
I finally got around today to looking at the photos for the Morris Broadband Dupont Trail Half Marathon. I saw the photographer on the course and knew as I crossed over the bridge that he would have a good view of me. Never noticed the photos being taken as I crossed the finish line, but they had the finishing clock right there in the picture, which actually doesn't seem to happen that often. Both photos were good, I especially liked the one on the course. It was maybe 3 miles in, wasn't feeling my best, hot, and just before removing my long sleeve GTC tech shirt. It's a good side view, not a large stride as I was just starting a climb, more determined than anything. Again - I like the photos. The issue? Were my eyes closed? Do I look goofy? Neither. The $15 (+ shipping cost) for a 5x7 print. Whoa - I am wrong on that. Just looked again. $15 is for the Additional prints. The 1st one is $25. (Another $10 if I wanted a logo on it, I assume of the race). You've got to be kidding me. How did it ever get started to have the photos cost $15-25 each? If they were $5 each, would they sell so many more to make it just as worthwhile? How many people do they really expect to shell out $25 for a single photo - regardless of how good the shot is? 2%?? Not me, not for this event anyway. I have bought photos before - my 1st half, my 1st Full marathon, both 9 years ago now and I am Sure I didn't pay $25 for either of them. Maybe a couple others.
I know a photographer or two, maybe I'll ask why they are so expensive. I expect I'll hear that they have to get paid, upload them, storage/website/online shopping charges, plus make a profit. Whatever - it won't make a difference.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Welcome to the photo gripe club. Notice how certain track club event have "free" photos (free for the runners that is) ? well now you know why :)