Sunday, June 13, 2010

Post race hard-headedness

I know better but I can't help it. Call it denial and you'd be right. I have a slight issue (I'm not ready to call it an injury) with my left foot. Must be from the 50k, even though it showed up the next evening after a 2 mile lunchtime walk. There is some decent bruising - a couple of spots on my big toe, but the bruises aren't the issue, it's the joint that hurts to the touch. I think it's supposed to be a good thing when there is no swelling. Running earlier in the week was ok, hurt more Not running. I wanted to get my run in this weekend, so this morning ran a nice slow 7 miles (in the ridiculously Hot & Humid weather, so Glad the race was last weekend) and actually felt my toe while I ran. Had to cut the grass this morning as well, so that didn't help. This evening - it is feeling a little better, but I am thinking I should just hit the stationary bike this week and let it heal properly. Still have a full week before I would technically start my Triple Lakes 40miler training (with a 16 week program).

On a similar note - still have some other lingering effects from the race. My 2nd toenail on my right foot is pretty purple from the root I kicked and my left hip/thigh still has a pretty bruise from my fall on the bridge. Oh yes, did get a bit of poison oak/ivy whatever on my shin. Almost more annoying than the toe thing. These really aren't bad, more just pleasant reminders what a wonderful time I had!

2 comments:

Kathrin said...

You gotta love battle wounds! ;-)

Kristen said...

If I were you, I would take a week on the bike. Hell, if I were you, I don't think I would have yet run since the 50k. You don't want any of that to get past the point of a quick heal, or you may miss more running than you bargained for. Nice bruise. I love brusies.