Monday, September 1, 2008

I'm ok! Eye-bug. 15k race...

So I think I'm fine after my Achilles scare last week. Wed was rest, Thursday was an early morning "test run". Felt fine for my scheduled 6 miles. Slower obviously as I felt for anything odd. Not a great run, but ok. Achilles soreness turned into knee pain. Not too bad at all, almost a weakness (like it was hyper-extended?). Friday was rest, Saturday was originally supposed to be a 20 miler. After that week, and a 15k race on Monday - there was no way I was doing that. I ended up doing just over 7. Was hoping for somewhere between 7 and 13. Caught a bug in my eye and couldn't get it out - that was one reason for the 7. Legs felt fine too, still lingering knee weakness after the fact - didn't feel a thing as I ran. So - the bug. I looked. My wife looked later on. A few hours later, felt something Really in my eye and something came out. Yuck, but felt so much better!
Rested up yesterday (by painting a bedroom) and woke up at 4:20am today to get ready and drive down to Columbia for the Labor Day 15k. A really good crowd, lots of volunteers too. Started off on the cooler side (for Columbia) with even a threat of rain. Sadly - that only lasted ~4 miles, then the sun came out with a vengeance. Then the hills began. Not sure they ever ended! By far the hardest course I have run, combined with my lack of proficiency in the heat and I was not having a great race. Even with that - and not feeling like I was going fast at all (let alone the walking I did) - I was only 2 minutes off my Biltmore 15k run from May in which I felt great at (so I think I remember feeling great!). Did run into one GTC member - Bobby. For the last 2 years - it seems we are Always side by side at some point. So - 100 miles away from Greenville, bend down to check my shoes at the starting line, straighten up, and who is standing next to me but Bobby. He has been my rabbit, but lately I guess my training has paid off as I have finally overtaken him in the last few races. Forget that he is over 30 yrs older! I certainly hope to be in that good of shape in 20 or 30 years! I'll talk more about my "rabbits" over the last 6 years...there's been a few!
NYC is 8 weeks away. eek!
Next week: three 7 milers on Wed, Fri and Sunday.

No comments: