Sunday, January 18, 2009

Flurries...XTERRA

So the weather Thursday was actually quite pleasant, little to no wind and sun. Ran a littel extra and stretched it out to almost 6 miles. Friday actually wasn't that bad either. Kept the shorts and added a 3rd layer on top and all was fine. Today interesting. Walking out to my car at 8:45am it was sleeting. Not a good sign. I usually don't mind rain, or the cold. But a Cold rain is probably the worst. Driving to my running spot (Oak Grove) - the flurries started, which is actually better than rain. It did something my whole run, mostly rain, but Very light. Was scheduled to do 9, but wanted a little more, so I planned on doing 12.6. Wasn't too sure with the rain - but it turned out just fine. Was my longest run since the marathon. Doing the 10 miler training doesn't have you do much over 9. I am still leaning on moving up to the marathon for mid-May and using the April 26th 10 miler as a mid-training goal. So - on to other news...the GTC is partnering with XTERRA in sponsoring our Trail Running Series. We've had 2 races at Paris Mountain State Park, and you need 3 to be added to the XTERRA (www.xterratrailrun.com) series. Throw in the fact that with some complaints about having the trail run part of the running series, it made good sense to do this. The GTC added a 15k for May 30th and will still be at Paris Mtn. May not work into my schedule this year (if I do the May marathon), but with the XTERRA season starting Sept, this one won't really count in the 2009 results anyway. I very excited about it though...I did the XTERRA scramble in Richmond a few years ago with my brother. A 10k that featured trails, rocks, river bed, climbs (ladders as well as The Mayan Steps!) - so much fun! We didn't run it for time but still one of the better races I've been in. May do the Xduro this year - their new half marathon trail run.
Have the Run Downtown next Saturday. Who knows if a PR is in store for me...normal training this week, but will take Friday off!

No comments: