Saturday, October 4, 2008

Easy Week! Race sizes

It's been a relatively easy week. My 16 miler last weekend went fine. The weather has gotten the temps down into the upper 40's for my running a couple mornings last week. It's funny to feel the front of my legs in those times and how cold they feel to my henads. Feel fine to me otherwise - don't even think about needing to wear something other than shorts unless it very windy or maybe below 40 degrees. So - this week was 6 & 8 milers, plus some cross training (stationary bike). Tomorrow is only 9 miles. That will be pleasant, actually being able to sleep in again!
NYC is 4 weeks from tomorrow! Got my Official Handbook in the mail. Still waiting to find out my bib # and which wave I will start in. I put down a 4 hr goal time, so I think that should get me in the top 13,000 for the 1st wave (starting at 9:40am, with the 2 others following at 10am and 10:20). It should have a similar feel to other races with ~13000 people I've done: San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon and 2006 US Army 10 miler at 15000+ and Cooper River 2001 & 2002 at ~14000; RnR 2001 Va Beach Half Marathon at ~11000. Then there is the 2007 Cooper River Bridge 10k, with almost 29,000 finishers!
Saw in the latest Runner's World Brandi Chastain is running NY this year, and I expect her goal time will be under 4 hrs as her 2 previous half marathons were ~1:47 (my PR). Wonder if I'll see her or any other celebs (Katie Holmes and of course Lance Armstrong last year). Who knows - I may be so focused on what I am doing, I won't even think about it.
Well - until next time...